How Does Meals to Heal Work? Easily. Conveniently. Reliably.
Meals to Heal is designed to help make life easier, more convenient, and less stressful for people with cancer and for their caregivers. We designed our services to be personal – customized to your needs, your tastes. But we also designed our services to be simple – getting started is easy and staying with your plan is easy. Everything comes to you: the fresh food, the information, the access to other excellent resources.
Here’s how it works in four easy steps…
1. Set Up a Private Account and Tell Us About YourselfCreate a private user ID login name and security password. That way, only you (and any individuals you specify) have access to your private information. Then fill out a simple form that tells us a little more about you. This is when we gather the information needed to create a meal plan customized to your specific condition, nutrition needs, and personal tastes and preferences. We ask (and we keep all information confidential) that you tell us about your:
- Diagnosis – the type and stage of cancer can play important roles in determining specific nutrition needs
- Treatment – information on your cancer treatment is also critically important in deciding on the type and quantity of food that would be best for your body (and mind)
- Side effects – nutrition and specific food formulations, such as those developed by our team of chefs and nutritionists, can help reduce the impact of certain cancer treatments and side effects such as loss of appetite, weight loss, nausea, vomiting, changes in taste, fatigue, diarrhea, and more
- Other medical conditions – in creating a diet customized to your needs, we also must take into consideration other health conditions that may affect your nutritional needs, from heart conditions and diabetes to food allergies
- Food preferences – what you like to eat (or don’t like to eat), food allergies you may have, whether you are a vegetarian or not. We try to accommodate your needs (but, of course, may not be able to meet each and every unique dietary need)
2. Review Our Recommendations Designed to Meet Your Needs and TastesOnce your account is set up, we recommend meals that meet your personal nutrition needs and tastes. (But of course, you can always select an option other than what we recommend.) Our recommendations are designed to provide the best possible nutrition for your personal needs. Your needs depend on the type and stage of your cancer, the type of treatment you get, any side effects you are experiencing, and your overall health, including any other serious medical conditions. Our recommendations are designed to provide the right balance of calories, protein, and other nutrients. In addition to meeting your specific nutritional needs, recommended meals are customized to your tastes – not just what you can tolerate…not just what you like…what you love. You can choose meats, poultry, fish, or completely vegetarian meals. And preparation is simple – you or your caregiver just “heat and eat.”
3. Tell Us About Your Caregiver and Others Who May Help You With OrderingAssign an approved caregiver – someone like your son, daughter, spouse, or partner – who you feel comfortable giving access to your information and who will help you order your meals when needed. Like you, your caregiver will have a private user ID and security login password that will link to your account. If you wish have your own nutritionist or healthcare provider who will help you with ordering meals, we also can offer that individual access. Just provide your nutritionist’s or healthcare provider's name and contact email, and we will follow up to set up an account linked to yours. We take care of all the details!
Once you've set up your account and placed your order then...
Get cancer & nutrition information on foods, nutrients and cancer dietsInterested in why we believe so strongly in the Mediterranean Diet and the value of the delicious ingredients in every meal we prepare? Interested in the latest evidence-based medical articles on the role of diet in cancer treatment? Interested in more information on supplements, specific nutrients, or diets that you may have heard about? The Nutrition and Cancer Information section of this site contains evidence-based information that is easy to understand. We follow the highest nutritional standards and the best practices of leading cancer experts such as the American Cancer Society, the National Cancer Institute, and the American Institute for Cancer Research. Just click on the Nutrition and Cancer Information Resources link for all the following:
- Important Studies of Cancer, Nutrition, and Fitness
- Information from the National Cancer Institute on Nutrition-Related Side Effects of Cancer and Treatment…Plus Tips For Addressing These Side Effects
- Specific Foods, Herbs, and Spices That May Help Fight Cancer and Treatment Side Effects
- Popular Cancer-Fighting Diets and Evidence-Based Information on Their Effectiveness
- Information on Supplements, Herbs, and Botanicals
- Links to Other Sites
Find an experienced nutritional professional for counselingAs soon as you sign up for our services, we can assist you in getting access to leading oncology dietitians and physicians in your area so you can get ongoing nutritional counseling and even, if needed, specialized medical care. Simply follow the link on our Find A Nutrition Professional section of our website, then enter your zip code and you will find a list of dietitians in your state, including those, the Certified Specialists in Oncology ("CSOs"), with over 2,000 hours minimum of oncology clinical training. Their contact information is provided there and we invite you to call them to discuss your specific nutritional issues and needs. In the future, for special needs and more serious medical nutritional issues, we also will provide a list of physicians trained and experienced in oncology nutrition. Meals to Heal also offers you direct online access to our dedicated cancer nutrition professionals which include Registered Dietitians with the CSO credential and oncology Registered Nurses. We make it possible for you to email or “chat” privately with specialists online who can answer your questions about your nutritional needs and your menu of meals.
Order supplements for additional calories and nutrients [coming soon!]If you need more calories or more nutrients, Meals to Heal offers you access to a full line of supplements, including the organic supplement, Orgain, and Ensure. Just click the supplement logo, and your supplements will be sent direct to your home (or other location where you are receiving treatment). No need to open a separate account. We do it all for you with just one click of your mouse!